Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Today was my day off and was I ever glad to have the whole house to myself and SEW! I usually plan errands etc for my day off but I told myself today I was spending a good part of it in my sewing room. I completed the machine quilting this morning and sewing on the binding. While having a lonnnng conversation with a friend of mine and watching a little t.v. I completed the hand sewn part of the binding..yay! I just need to add a label to the back. This quilt is for my sister who is due in June :o) Now I have to get on to the next one for her.


I will definately make this quilt again in more "traditional" baby colors for either girl or boy. I had some Baby Genius Grow Up charm squares to use up and applied it to this quilt. They weren't what I expected when ordering and was kind of stumped with what to do with them. When Jodi from http://www.simplythisthatandtheother.blogspot.com/ posted this pattern at the Moda Bakeshop http://www.modabakeshop.com/ I knew what I would use them for. It was the first time I did prairie points. I still have a long way to go with accuracy for machine quilting but I am getting the hang of it. I really hope there is a class offered on this sometime. I am in a small town where there is not much opportunity for this stuff....so for now, trial and error it is ;o)


12 comments:

Quilter Going Bananas said...

Congrats on getting the baby quilt done and way before baby is due to arrive, impressive!!! As for machine quilting, practice and practice some more is the only way to improve...

Unknown said...

I am so happy to see a baby quilt made with non traditional colors! It is awesome and i am sure will be used for alot longer then the normal pinks and blues!

Jilly's Space said...

Thanks gals.
Practice make perfect..right? I will be perfect someday??? lol

Jodi Nelson said...

It turned out fabulous! Great job on the quilting! ooxx`jodi

heather said...

Looks great!! I like that pattern and I would really like to try the prairie points??? Is that what you called them. Just keep practicing the stippling and you'll get your own style. It's so much fun!! GREAT JOB!!

Mary-Kay said...

What a beautiful quilt. I saw it at the Moda Bake Shop and printed it out for the future, You did a great job amd I like it even better than MBS. I also like your Winsome Baby quilt.

Jilly's Space said...

Yes Heather..I think that's what they are called..lol. First time doing them and they were actually quite easy. I'll keep practicing that stippling!
Thank-you Mary-Kay...great compliment ;o)

Robin said...

Wow!! I love your quilts, especially the Isabella one...I wish I could do applique..haven't worked up the courage to try it yet! *embarrassed*

Yeah, those one inch squares...they didn't go too well! I cut some things wrong, I think, because I changed the pattern a little. : ( It had to be scrapped....it was a disaster!!1

Jilly's Space said...

lol..sometimes we just have to do away with projects Robin..at least you don't have to stress over those one inch squares anymore!!

I have been doing the easy applique(fuse and sew) and trust me..you can do it too. I haven't been brave enough to do the "real" applique yet.

Myra said...

The quilt is wonderful! Great job on the prairie points too! Something I haven't attempted yet!
Your quilting looks fine! I am in the same boat as you with the machine quilting... I have done so little, and far between it is like starting all over each time with something I am not great at! We will get there eventually! 8-)
Happy stitchings!

Jilly's Space said...

Thanks Myra :o)

Zonnah said...

I LOVE this quilt!